Get a Minion to do your bidding.
If you have (or would like to have) a website for your business, yourself, or a project but don’t have sufficient conditions to make it happen or keep it up to date, and you find my ‘ogminion’ work worth supporting, here is a chance to feed two birds with one grain (to paraphrase a somewhat more violent idiom):
(Of course if you’d just like to support my Dharma-related work, period, just drop me a line, and I’ll be very grateful, indeed.)
Having done the sysadminionizing (along with things like web design and content production) for the better part of five years now (in this iteration; a previous gig was from around 1995 to the early aughties, but things have changed so much since then, that I can’t honestly add those eight years), I have learned a lot of patience and compassion. Along with all the technical skills and stuff, of course.
From helping a few friends and family with their websites I’ve learned something else: unless ‘doing web stuff’ is one of your main interests, the extra effort needed to manifest a website and keep it up-to-date (even only technically, which is even more important than making sure your phone always has the latest updates installed) is really something you can do without.
My main work is the volunteer stuff collected under ‘ogminion,’ but that being somewhat unpaid (hence the v-word), I keep struggling to even cover the costs for those projects, let alone keep my own head above water.
So I decided to offer my services to a larger circle of friends and family as a way to both offer and receive support. If you (1) have or would like to have a small or medium-sized website for yourself, your business, or a project, (2) have no real conditions to maintain or even create it, and (3) find my ‘ogminion’ work worth supporting, consider allowing me to help you while you help me and my work.
Long story short, I’m offering a core service
1. wordpress management/maintenance
with two optional components
2. infrastructure (hosting)
3. wordpress setup
and a number of very optional add-ons
1. wordpress management/maintenance includes
– continuous updates of wordpress, plugins, and themes
– regular backups
– small content updates
2. Infrastructure (hosting) includes
– cPanel hosting
– SSL (domain-validated) certificate
– and as extras (that also means extra costs)
– SSL (higher verifications)
3. wordpress setup includes
– DIVI premium theme (if you like)
– basic social media integration
– basic security (using wordfence.com free tier)
– basic google analytics / search console
– basic SEO (incl. sitemap submission to google)
– basic mailchimp list
– and as extras (at extra cost)
– WordFence premium security
4. design can entail things like logo or web design
5. development can entail things like getting your own mobile app, customizing your website to support internal or external processes, work-flows, or just adding advanced interactivity for your users
6. marketing can entail things like an advanced MailChimp mailing list, advanced SEO, or even monetization of your website
This is not a commercial offering that tries to compete on price or convince you of X or Y reasons to choose it over the gazillion other possibilities to get the same kind of stuff out there. That’s why there’s condition #3 above, to repeat: if you feel my work for the Dharma and for Rinpoche worth supporting here is something that helps you directly in return.
And it’s on offering-basis. I’m setting a minimum offering (so it’s truly helpful truly both ways), and I’m sharing some thoughts about recommended offerings:
1. For the core service (wordpress management/maintenance), the minimum is $55 per month (or $555 per year if you pay annually), the recommendation for the monthly offering is to start with what you’d expect to get paid (and be happy with) for a day’s worth of good work in your field, then adjust down or up until you’re comfortable with it (if you pay annually, 10-15% discount are in order).
2. For the hosting the minimum offering is $22 per month ($222 annually). (This is not hard-limited, but I’ll keep you informed how much resources your site uses and let you know when you may want to think about something bigger.)
However, if you already have a wordpress site and would like to use my hosting, I’ll need to make sure that things add up properly. That may entail updating or amending things on the technical side, and also potentially a security audit (which is done by wordfence.com and will need to be paid for separately). This means in some cases in order for the hosting to work, we’ll need to go through some of the ‘wordpress setup’ work.
3. For the wordpress setup there’s three scenarios:
(Generally, the smaller and simpler the site, the easier this will be. After looking at your current site, I’ll let you know how much would be fair.)
– If you already have a wordpress website, I’d recommend budgeting between 1 and 3 months worth of your ongoing offering.
– If you have a site that is not wordpress, you may want to budget a month or two more.
– And of course if you don’t have a site yet, we’ll need to discuss the details before any reasonable budget recommendation can be made.
For any of this, if you’re interested to get a minion, please kindly drop me a line, and we’ll take it from there.